At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Perspective On P.E.C.S....

Until a few months ago,...I had never heard of PECS,...Picture-Exchange-Communication-System.

It's communication by means of exchanging picture/symbols for those with verbal challenges.

Since Isaac's been learning sign language, I never thought much about using PECS,...but last week Miss Fern, Isaac's speech pathologist introduced us to the complete concept,...and with a successful trial run during his therapy session,...I am on board.

ANYTHING to help my little guy communicate.

But, I am finding it to be an awesome task to put together.

Not the actually manual task of constructing PECS, I can use a glue stick, straight cutter and laminator in my sleep,...but the task of choosing what symbols to use - for what, where, when and everything else.

Perhaps I am over analyzing,...a tendency I do have,...but I can't shake the feeling that I am creating a vocabulary here,...my son's for the time being,...until he can grasp the concept of communication and begin to form his own means of categorizing his thoughts in a tangible form.

Start simple, advised Miss Fern,...handing me a five pound binder of PEC symbols to study,...and her advice is sound,...and I am trying to keep to the bare essentials,...eat, sleep, bath, diaper, play....but it's still an awesome task.

Hope I am choosing wisely,...hope these PEC cards help my Isaac,...hope one day I can pass our five pound binder to someone else,...and say, "It's going to be OK,...these helped us,...they will help you,...God bless!"

Nearly done with our first batch,...will start using PECS,...tomorrow!




Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.