At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Say My Name,...


Our Isaac is pushing three,...and his Apraxia has not allowed him to say his own name, YET!

What we take for granted,...just the simple motor planning necessary to articulate our own name.

So, what to do when you are still too little to learn to sign: I-S-A-A-C?

Mama gets busy on the computer and fires up the iron,...to iron-on,...iron-ons,...on Isaac's shirts.

For church on Sunday,...we have monogramed polo shirts that Isaac wears,...but personalized embroidered monograms can get pricy and I haven't been able to convince my husband I NEED an embroidery machine,...which is even pricier.

I can hand-embroider,...nicely,...but I have ZERO time for such delicate work with an active preschooler,...however Isaac can climb in and out of my lap while I tinker with illustrating his name in photoshop and such.

If,...you have a computer and access to design software,...iron-ons can be quite cost effective,...I can get at least fifteen Isaac labels for his shirts on one sheet of Iron-on,...and yes with play clothes,...Isaac has at least fifteen shirts,...easily....

Haven't done it yet,...but I plan to make a Iron-on for Isaac's undershirts,...with his full name, condition, and our contact information,...should we go to a event or location where the possibility of his being separated from us is in question,...just seems prudent.

Honestly,...until confronted with a nonverbal child,...you don't think about all the safety information he needs to know,....

It is nice that Isaac's verbal output is increasing,...but he's not quite ready to answer:
"What's your name?"

One day,...though,...my little man will be able to not only point to his shirt,...but to say, "Isaac!"




Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.