At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Monday, December 17, 2012

A Very Sensory Season,...

Christmas trees and preschoolers,...just how high do you put your tree,...or do you skip a tree,...or do you just let a toddler's creativity flow?

We did a little of all,...first by not putting up our tradition tree and ornaments,...too many were too fragile and it wasn't worth the worry,...

We purchased Isaac a tree to decorate himself,...plastic and paper ornaments have taken a lot of love.
Then,...I spent some time on Pinterest and saw felt trees for preschoolers,...most were tacked onto a wall,...but hello,...with Isaac that tree wouldn't stand a chance to stay on the wall....I searched for a solution,...then on Pinterest I saw a table-top tree made out of felt,...it was very small,...but I thought,...I can just expand those four triangles,...and so I did,...


3 equal triangles cut out of heavy green felt sewn together...very cheap.
1 triangle for the bottom,...
Extra felt and velcro for the ornaments,...
LOTS of stuffing,...I sacrificed a few cushions,...and I used aquarium gravel,...about two bags to weight the tree so it won't topple.

The star topper is three felt stars,...stuffed and sewn together at the points.
The ornaments are slightly stuffed to make them easier for little hands to grasp.
Getting creative,...I laminated pictures and added felt frames for ornaments.

I used cookie cutters and free-hand to shape the felt ornaments,...there is no right or wrong, I also free hand made some felt fruit,...because Isaac likes fruit and it was another sensory level to add.

From start to finish....it took three hours to make the tree,...longer for the ornaments, but I spaced that over a few days and most of the time was in the design and cutting out stage,..sewing was a snap and went very quickly on my sewing machine. 



This tree is holding up very well and its taken a LOT of love,...

It's a great therapy tool,...lots of sensory practice and targeted speech practice,...and it's just fun for Isaac to dismantle and redecorate about a dozen times a day,...

Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. I LOVE it! Hmm...how can I take this idea and use it for winter or spring...hmm...Easter tree...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.