At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Quest,...


Last year when Isaac was diagnosed with Apraxia and I discovered educational toys were excellent means of therapy motivation for preschoolers, I went on a quest and hit the thrift stores, with great success I might add.

Educational toys are not cheap, and it was a blessing to find expensive toys and games a buck and under or three bucks at the most,...because these toys would help my son,...perhaps even one of these toys would be THE toy,...the key,...to unlocking Isaac's mysterious Apraxia,...like a philosopher's stone,...a quest motivated by sheer wishful thinking.


One year, two filled closets and one over flowing toy chest,...later,..I still find myself falling for the irrational hope of a Philosopher's Toy ....

In medieval times,...the dark ages,...alchemists went on quests searching for an elusive Philosopher's Stone,...an unknown element,...which they believed would turn base metals into gold.

Fast forward to the 21st century,...and a concerned mother is on a quest, seeking another toy,...another puzzle,...another picture book with hopes it will help her child be able to speak with ease....


It won't happen,...I know.

I've always known,...yet,...I've filled two closets and a toy chest, and a couple of tubs,...with educational toys.

Most of the toys are used during Isaac's speech therapy activities and just for him to play with. He is still just a kiddie-boo. He likes puzzles and blocks, and is a very good sport about putting a toy away before choosing another...

So,...if toys are just toys what's the answer for Isaac's Apraxia challenges?

I don't know.

Time will probably be the best help,...and therapy.

The toys in of themselves,...may or may not help,...but they aren't going to hurt,...and I guess it salves our worries,...that nag: Are we doing everything?....Is there anything more we can do?....

Again,...time will tell,...for now we just need to trust and hope and love our little guy.

Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.