At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Learning the Ropes,...

 Learning the ropes for Apraxia and Autism here,...


To be perfectly honest, I am finding the vast amount of therapies for Apraxia and Autism to be bewildering. Every single expert seemingly has a different opinion and theirs is BEST.



For the past few weeks, I've been wading through research, ABA, Teacch, Floor time, and then there are all the speech therapies along with Signing Exact English, which I don't know how to exactly do, yet...


The sheer volume is overwhelming, and then you get into social classes and speech and occupational therapy sessions and pre-school preparations. Yikes! I won't even pretend not to be beyond my depth.

However, overwhelmed or not, I have to make some decisions and going with my instincts I feel inclined to take the best elements from the various alphabet soup therapies and individualize them for our little preschooler.

What we do here at home is the most important,...a couple therapy sessions a week are helpful, even extremely helpful, but the bulk of Isaac's time and attention is spent with us at home.

Going forward, it is to take some time for me to learn all the ropes of Isaac's double diagnosis,...time to figure out what elements, I want to use from what therapies,...time to plan the workstations that need to be set up,...time to organize the data to be collected,...time to plan the task shoe-boxes to be arranged,...and time to become more proficient in sign language,....

To tackle my therapy objectives I need to:

1. Go slow - not snail pace - but zeal without knowledge is never advisable.
2. Research throughly
3. Be flexible with schedules.
4. Ask advice
5. Enjoy the process,...life still has to be lived,...and Isaac is soooo much fun.




With a little help this past weekend, Isaac climbed the ropes to his objective,...the top of that cool tree-house,...and with a little assistance, or maybe more than a little assistance,...I know we can help Isaac achieve,...whatever goals he wants for his future,....


Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.