At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Friday, July 12, 2013

I-SSS-ICK


Wish I were computer savvy enough to have the title of this post in flashing lights.


This spring, I spent a couple weeks embellishing Isaac's summer wardrobe, and the response to Isaac's ISAAC shirts have been overwhelmingly positive. You'd think our little guy was a rockstar, he's gotten so many shout-outs.




Identity for Isaac is not a challenge - he knows his name is Isaac and he knows to respond to his nickname: I.I. as well. 


We chose I.I. for a nickname because Isaac is a mouthful to say even for a preschooler without Apraxia. 

With Apraxia, we never know what we're going to get. 

Example, for the past few weeks at speech therapy, Isaac's speech pathologist would present my photo and Isaac would either say or sign: "Mama."

When Isaac's photo was presented, Isaac would point to himself or sign: boy.

However this week in speech therapy when Isaac's photo was presented, my little guy said:

"I-SSS-ICK!!!!!"

Oh yes, I was doing backflips, and so was the speech pathologist. 

By no means was the pronunciation clear, in fact only the ears of love could fully catch those blurred syllables, but it means emergence, and everyone has to start somewhere. 

Monogram shirts will probably still be around for quite awhile and that's OK, they are just another tool to help Isaac grow to his fullest potential. 





Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!


3 comments:

  1. That's so wonderful! I'm still not quite understanding why all his shirts are monogrammed though. Just curious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana,...thanks for posting....Isaac's shirts are monogramed because he can not say his name, or at least not easily or readily. Having his name on his shirt makes socialization easier in so many ways,...more than once at a playground children were playing with him - unaware he couldn't speak - but calling him by name - because of the ISAAC on his shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I feel so slow now. That totally makes sense. Plus it's pretty adorable as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.