At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Friday, January 24, 2014

Memphis and Back in 24 hours,...


Last weekend we made a quick trip to Memphis,...


Picturesque weather for the trip,...pretty, but very cold,...with brisk, very brisk winds,...



For us,....it's about a four hour trip,...Isaac most obligingly slept most of the way,...



Of course that meant, Isaac was up half the night, Friday night,...and so were we,...but no other hotel guest that we knew of,...because we always make a point of getting a first floor hotel room,...saves fuss and worry,...because Isaac LOVES zooming around a hotel room,...and yes,...we learned about first floor hotel room, the hard way,...

Last year,...when tornados took out power lines in our area,...we had to spend several days in a hotel,...that first night,...we got THE telephone call from the front desk,...but that was before we had Isaac's autism diagnosis,...and all we could plead was a hyper three year old,...

That next morning,...by the way,...is then only time I've ever locked myself out of a hotel room, but I was telling one of my older son's goodbye as he left for work,...and before I knew it that heavy door,...slammed closed,...and I was in tears when I raced to the front desk,...frantic,...because, "My baby is asleep in the room,...ALONE!!!!"

Believe it or not,...but it took a moment for the desk clerk to believe me,...first reaction was, "Good one!" - for an excuse,...but as I became even more frantic about my non-verbal child waking up alone in a strange hotel room without MAMA,...I got their attention,...and it took three tries,...and finally the manager's master key to get me back into my hotel room,...where I found my baby Isaac,...still asleep,...looking very much like this....



Saturday morning when Isaac woke up in Memphis,....he woke up giggling,...and yes,...it was precious to hear,...his giggles coming from beneath the covers....


The silliness factor reigned for most of the day,...especially when Isaac tried on a Happy Birthday hat,...which I was tempted to buy,...as his birthday party was the next day,...but we got only one photo and one giggle out of the test run,...after that Isaac was "ALL DONE" - with birthday hats.



Isaac was more interested in eating Gibson Donuts than trying on hats,....


For the record,...Isaac takes his donut eating,...very seriously....for even the icky sticky glaze doesn't deter him,...although he wants the sticky, "ALL GONE" - as soon as he's done!


Of course,....Mama insists on a more nutritional lunch,...and Isaac is a real sport about eating more nutritional foods,...he loves oatmeal, any type bean-legume, any protein, even liver, but especially fish, most fruits, a few veggies: typical like corn and peas, and ANY vegetable if I fry it like fried squash or fried okra,...it's just the soft or gooey or icky sticky Isaac won't tolerate,...and to date,...he's yet to eat ice-cream, pudding or yogurt,...he tries,...like the sport he is,...but he just can't crack the sensory part,...not yet,..but that's OK,...I've mastered the art of making non-gooey oatmeal,...and it is possible,...because Isaac loves the stuff - half dry and kinda gummy - ick of us,...is yum for him!

For his Memphis lunch,...Isaac ate: Chicken Noodle Soup,...the chicken and the noodles,...and some of the broth,...some black beans, from my soup,...and French Bread,...the previous night Isaac had chowed down on Corky's barbecue, French Fries, and fried catfish,...because you can't go to Memphis without eating some seriously good food!!!!

Thankfully Isaac does really well in restaurants,...although we do use a few strategies,...such as ALWAYS get a booth,...if possible to hem in our little guy,...helps wonderfully,...I always have nuts or raisins in my purse,...and they often come out if the food is slow to appear,...we're not shy about asking for extra napkins,...and cup with a lid,...also electronic devices are a boon,...Mickey Mouse on a smart phone,...you bet,...Isaac is happy,...we are happy and our fellow diners are happy,....

The ride home wasn't as much fun for our little guy,...he wasn't sleepy,...although he had company in the backseat,...in the form of his horsey - as it was horsey's turn for a trip,...we change out stuffed animal companions,...sometimes Isaac plays with them,...sometimes not,...but they are always there,...as was a ton of books, and his little red barn FULL of toy animals,...an electronic ABC tablet,...his LeapPad,...and as last resort we finally pulled out a portable DVD player,...because it's a long ride,...for a little guy....


With Isaac awake,...we made sure to make some stops to stretch our legs and to let our little guy get out some of that pent-up energy,....and with a bottom-less pit,...a snack doesn't hurt,...only if the French Fries were warmer,...in Tupelo!!!!


Cold French Fries or not,...Isaac took it in stride,...and we were all glad to see home,...Isaac zoomed up and down our hallways,...my husband unpacked the car,...and I uploaded all the pictures I had taken,...and I do have to take a LOT of pictures of Isaac to get a few,...very few good ones,...because Isaac is too busy to pose,...and I have to catch our little super-sonic guy in the moment,...or not at all!

Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!




2 comments:

  1. I have an elaborate map in my head of what flavor matches what texture. If it's off the grid, I will not eat it. I'm trying to expand it, but it's hard. For example, I won't eat Tabasco jelly beans because spicy/vinegar and chewy/gelatin-like do not match up. What donuts are Isaac's favorite? Mine are the ones with chocolate and sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting about taste and texture,...Isaac is ALL about texture,...and finger tip tests any new food,...he likes plain glazed donuts best,.,.and we actually brought a couple boxes home,...because we knew Isaac would most likely not eat any birthday cake,...and he didn't,...he had a donut,...instead! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.