At 42 Degrees

At 42 Degrees

Monday, April 14, 2014

Finding Round Rainbows,..


It seems to be a little known fact that rainbows are round,...the curve of the earth prevents us from us seeing the entire circle,...unless you are in an airplane or a very high mountaintop at the exact moment the sun comes out after a rain storm and is shining at a 42 degree angle. 

It's comforting to know there is more,....much more than what we see,...in rainbows and challenges too,...for as Isaac develops we are finding hope,...in each new emerging skill!




For a four year old some of these skills are pretty elementary like when Isaac pointed to the backyard and said, "I run." --- I was off my head with joy, at the: pronoun, verb and recall, but a few people I shared the excitement with couldn't see the rainbow or the progress, the attitude was like:  well yeah, he should be saying that,...but hello, until last week or so,...Isaac couldn't and now he can,...trust me,...it's a big deal!

Still working on our garden and last week when we left to make a trip to Lowes,...Isaac in the backseat waved and said, "Bye House!"  --- elemental, yet for us a miraculous,...because our little guy has never made that connection before,...and it was also really, really, really cute!

More connections, for my knee is better, but I spent the better part of last week with it up,...and once it got jarred, and I exclaimed, "Ouch!" -- Isaac said and signed, "You hurt!" --- another connection - another rainbow - another moment when I was wild with joy!!!

Also tremendous is that naps are rarely needed now when you're a big guy and getting on a more consistent sleep schedule has helped Isaac's sleep and ours too,...that's a HUGE rainbow in our lives,...

Trying new food is challenging when you have sensory issues, but chasing those rainbows Isaac has been a champ about tasting new foods,...and it's hard, more so than anyone would realize,...this is a brave little guy,...overcoming sensory issues,...but he's also discovering how delicious hot and sour soup is too,...so there are rewards....

For me this weekend it was rewarding to have Isaac bring me books and sit in my lap and let me read to him,...OK,...let's get real,...Mama has to be creative with the pictures in the books to keep his attention so I don't exactly read the text,...but three books in a row is a new record,...for my super-sonic little guy,...and for me another rainbow.....

More rainbows are on our horizons,....Isaac still has many challenges with speech, social and behavioral issues. All that stuff goes hand-in-hand with Apraxia and Autism,...and it's a challenge that we can't see the answers,...sometimes we don't even fully understand the problem,...and how can you solve a problem you don't understand? It's like giving a kindergarten calculus and expecting the work to be done perfectly,...but we know rainbows are round,...and there is more than what meets the eye,...and even if we have to take elemental steps toward the connections,...then that's OK,...because we know eventually we'll come full circle and understand all!

Until I post again,...may God bless and keep you!















2 comments:

  1. Another Rainbow Fact: In a double rainbow, the second rainbow's colors are in reverse order. My science teacher taught me (and the others) this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I am a big fan of rainbows,...and quite often spot double rainbows,...I'll check out the reverse,...next time I am privilege to view one!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.